First Fridays at the Co-Lab
What is First Friday at the Innovation Co-Lab?
If you’ve seen us at BC Plaza this week, you’ll have heard us talk about First Friday. But what is First Friday? First Friday is a monthly event hosted by the Innovation Co-Lab at Duke University for first-time (and repeat!) Co-Lab users. It is a come-as-you-are event, with no previous skills needed to participate. Each month, First Friday features a different hands-on activity, such as laser cutting, 3D printing, or making cards. The event is a great way to learn about the Co-Lab's resources and meet other students who are interested in making things.
Attend First Friday to:
- Learn new skills: First Friday events are a great way to learn new skills, such as laser cutting, 3D printing, or coding. These skills can be useful for a variety of projects, from school assignments to personal hobbies.
- Meet new people: First Friday events are a great way to meet other Duke students who are interested in making things. You can collaborate on projects, share ideas, and learn from each other.
- Have fun!: First Friday events are fun and relaxed. They are a great way to take a break from your studies and de-stress.
What to expect at First Friday
When you arrive at First Friday, you will be greeted by Co-Lab staff and volunteers who will be happy to help you get started. The Co-Lab will provide all the materials and equipment you need to participate in the activity. The event will typically last for a few hours because it’s drop in. The activities themselves usually take between 30 minutes and an hour, and there will be plenty of time to ask questions and get help.
Upcoming First Friday events
The following are some of the upcoming First Friday events at the Innovation Co-Lab:
- October 6: Laser Cutting Papel Picado
- November 3: Hack Screen Printing with the Cricut
- December 1: Make a Sticker with the Cricut
- February 2: Make a Valentine’s Card
- March 1: Hand 3D Printing
- April 5: Make a Duke Self-Standing Display
NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED
If you want to register ahead of time, visit the Innovation Co-Lab website and click on the "Events" tab. You can also register in person at the Co-Lab during the event.
If you forgot to register/ don’t have time to register, just drop by!
First Friday is a great opportunity for Duke students to learn new skills, meet new people, and have fun. If you are a first-time Co-Lab user, I highly recommend attending a First Friday event. You won't be disappointed!